Friday, August 10, 2012

Thrift Store Bed--From Trash to Treasure


I bought this headboard at a local thrift store for $15.00. I wasn't crazy about the wood grain, but I loved the detail in the panels. I also knew it would look awesome painted.


Because the panels were a plastic material, I primed it with Zinsser Cover Stain Primer (you can see the can in the pic above). Then I used two coats of an oil based white semi gloss. My husband actually got out the sprayer and sprayed the semi-gloss, which I highly recommend on a piece with details, or nooks and crannies, like this headboard. If you don't have a paint sprayer, you could always use spray paint in cans.



Once the paint was finished we just bought a full size bed rail ($37.00) and attached it using screws. Since the bed is for my 14 year old daughters room, I may add her initials to each panel. I was very happy with the way this project turned out. More importantly, my daughter loves it and we stayed within our budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment